Piri Piri Prawn and Chorizo Skewers with Chargrilled Little Gem Wedges
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Freezer friendly (skewers)
Choose wild Atlantic jumbo prawns for this recipe, as they need to be large enough to wrap around the slices of chorizo. Of course you can cook this on the barbecue if the weather is fine.
- 4 Little Gem lettuces, each one trimmed and cut into 6 wedges
- 2 uncooked chorizo sausages (each about 100g (4oz))
- 2 x 200g (7oz) packets of wild Atlantic jumbo prawns, peeled and with tails still intact
For the Piri Piri Sauce
- 2 long fresh red chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp rapeseed oil, plus a little extra for brushing
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
To make the piri piri sauce, place the chillies, garlic, lemon juice, rapeseed oil, sugar, paprika and cayenne pepper in a small food processor and season generously with salt and pepper. Blitz until you have achieved coarse paste. Using a spatula, transfer to a bowl. Set aside until needed.
Heat a griddle pan over a medium high heat. Brush the Little Gem lettuce wedges lightly with rapeseed oil and quickly chargrill. Arrange the wedges on a plate and add a small dipping bowl of the piri piri sauce.
Cut the chorizo sausages into 24 even-sized slices, discarding the ends. Wrap each prawn around a slice of chorizo and thread two prawns onto each skewer. Brush all over with the remaining piri piri sauce and cook the skewers on the griddle pan in batches over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side, until the prawns and chorizo are cooked through and tender.
Add the prawn and chorizo skewers to the plates with Little Gem wedges and lemon wedges to serve.